Apple | iHeart | Overcast | Spotify | Stitcher
In this episode we’re going to talk about the 450 Bushmaster, 458 SOCOM, and 50 Beowulf. Those are the three most popular choices for those looking for a big bore cartridge to use in an AR-15. All are capable performers, but there are some situations where it really makes sense to use certain ones in particular. In today’s episode, I’m going to discuss the pros and cons of the 450 Bushmaster vs 458 SOCOM vs 50 Beowulf so you can make an informed decision on which one is best for you.
Show Sponsor: Trusted my millions – HuntStand offers revolutionary mapping abilities, detailed weather information, national property ownership data for the United States AND Canada, Monthly Satellite Imagery, scouting camera management, 3D maps, ultra-high-resolution map printing services, and much more. Go to thebiggamehuntingblog.com/huntstand and use promo code BIGGAMEUNTER for 10% off your first year of HuntStand PRO.
Hunting Guns 101: If you enjoy these cartridge comparison episodes, then you will Love Hunting Guns 101 because it’s full of the same sort of information contained in these episodes, just with even more detail and analysis. Hunting Guns 101 is jam packed with useful information about practical ballistics and firearms in general that will help you be more successful afield and fill more tags on your hunts. Go to huntingguns101.com/form for instant access.
What We Covered
1) History of the 450 Bushmaster, 458 SOCOM, and 50 Beowulf cartridges.
2) How the cartridges compare to each other in terms of external dimensions, trajectory, recoil, and accuracy.
3) Comparison ammo and rifle choices in each cartridge.
4) Pros and cons of hunting with each cartridge.
Are you in the market for a new hunting rifle? Be sure to purchase Hunting Guns 101 FIRST in order to fast-forward your understanding about the hunting guns and ammo you should consider for the type of hunting you plan on doing in the near future. This training will teach you what you need to know about practical ballistics and is guaranteed to be both a time and money saver going forward with future gear purchases.
You’ll also learn things like:
- What you need to know about 2 extremely important, but often overlooked aspects of bullet performance on game.
- A vital lesson new hunters can learn from the life altering mistake made by one of the founding fathers of premium ammunition.
- Why you’re playing with fire by using your favorite deer hunting ammo on an elk hunt (even if it shoots accurately), and what you should shoot instead.
- What you need to know about some little known hunting regulations that will help you avoid unpleasant interactions with game wardens if you’re hunting in 5 specific states.
- The dangerous (and expensive) mistake many hunters make when selecting a scope for their hunting rifle.
- 2 clever tricks that can help you shoot more accurately with heavier recoiling cartridges.
- And much more.
Go to huntingguns101.com/form and submit the order form to receive instant access or go to huntingguns101.com/order to learn more about the training.
450 Bushmaster vs 458 SOCOM vs 50 Beowulf – Blog article referenced in podcast