Today, we’re talking about rifle scopes. Specifically, I’ll be answering some common listener questions I’ve received lately about choosing the right scope with the right features for typical hunting situations. So, stay tuned to learn about first focal plane vs second focal plane scopes, the pros and cons of different ballistic turrets, and what scope magnifications are best.
Show sponsor: Get some high quality, reasonably priced ammo at Lucky Gunner. That link, plus the links below, is an affiliate link. This means I will earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) if you make a purchase. This helps support the blog and allows me to continue to create free content that’s useful to hunters like yourself. Thanks for your support.
Giveaway: I’m giving away 3 copies of Ryan Cleckner’s book The Long Range Shooting Handbook to listeners of the show. To enter, subscribe to the Big Game Hunting Podcast, leave a rating and review on whatever podcast service you use, and share the show on social media. Email screenshots showing you completed those steps to [email protected].
Feel free to email me at the address above with any feedback you have on the show as well as topic requests for future episodes.
What We Covered
1) Difference between first focal plane scopes and second focal plane scopes and which type of scope is best suited for different applications.
2) Overview of the Leupold Custom Dial System and general ballistic turrets for scopes and why you should pick one vs another.
3) My recommendations on the best scope magnification for different uses.
4) My recommendations for a couple of different rifle scopes for hunting.
5) Overview of the Leupold VX-5 HD scope (get a Leupold VX-5 rifle scope here).
6) Overview of the Leupold VX-3i scope (get Leupold VX-3i rifle scope here).
7) Overview of the Vortex Viper rifle scope (get a Vortex Viper rifle scope here)
1) Learn more about the Leupold VX-5 HD scope I discussed in this episode below.