The Legendary 45-70 Government
Today I’ll be discussing a cartridge that, while extremely popular in certain circles, does not get a lot of mainstream attention these days: .45-70 Government. So, while the .45-70 is as American as apple pie and other cartridges like the .30-30 Winchester, the .30-06 Springfield, and the .45 Colt, only a relatively small percentage of dedicated hunters and shooters use it these days.
That’s really too bad because the .45-70 has a very interesting history and remains a very capable big game hunting cartridge. Today, we’re going to discuss why this is the case.
Feel free to send me a message with any feedback you have on the show as well as topic requests for future episodes.
What We Covered
1) History of the .45-70 Government
2) Brief overview of good .45-70 hunting ammo and rifle choices
3) Overview of the advantages and shortcomings of the .45-70 Government
4) Recommendations on hunting situations are best suited for the .45-70 Government
1) The .45-70 Government: Bone Crushing Power From An Old School Lever Action – Blog article referenced in podcast