6.5 Creedmoor vs 308 Winchester – Which One Is Best For You?
I think most shooters agree that the .308 Winchester and 6.5 Creedmoor are both fantastic cartridges for competition shooting. While the .308 Winchester has been around for a long time and also has a well-deserved reputation as an effective cartridge for hunting a variety of game, many hunters are skeptical of the capabilities of the comparatively new 6.5 Creedmoor as a hunting cartridge.
Unfortunately, there is a lot of marketing hype as well as a few genuine misunderstandings regarding the capabilities of the 6.5 Creedmoor that complicate this discussion. For that reason, it’s easy to understand how many hunters get confused about the strengths and weaknesses of the 6.5 Creedmoor and the .308 Winchester.
Here’s what you need to know about these fantastic short action centerfire rifle cartridges when it comes to picking the right one for a big game hunt.
Feel free to send me a message with any feedback you have on the show as well as topic requests for future episodes.
What We Covered
1) History of the 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 Winchester cartridges
2) How the cartridges compare to each other in terms of external dimensions, trajectory, recoil, and accuracy
3) Compare ammo and rifle choices in each cartridge
4) Detailed recommendations on which cartridge is best for hunting various big game species under different conditions
1) 6.5 Creedmoor vs 308 Winchester Debate Settled – Blog article referenced in podcast
Big Game Hunting Adventures is a veteran owned and operated business catering to the discerning big game hunter. They offer unforgettable hunting for a wide variety of big game in the South African bushveld, the iconic mountains on New Zealand’s South Island, the Cassiar Mountains of northern British Columbia, and the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Alberta.
So, if you’re looking to hunt animals like tahr and red stag in New Zealand, black bear, moose, and caribou in Canada, or kudu and impala in Africa, head over to BigGameHuntingAdventures.com to book the hunting adventure of a lifetime.