Regardless of what some people would have you believe, the AR-15 platform can be an outstanding choice for hunting all manner of game. In this episode of The Big Game Hunting Podcast, I give an overview of some of the most popular cartridges used in the AR-15 along with the pros and cons of using each one for hunting various species of game. Specifically, I cover the .223 Remington, 5.56 NATO, .224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .300 Blackout, .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, and .50 Beowulf.
Show sponsor: Get some high quality, reasonably priced ammo for the cartridges discussed in this podcast at Lucky Gunner. That link, plus the links below, is an affiliate link. This means I will earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) if you make a purchase. This helps support the blog and allows me to continue to create free content that’s useful to hunters like yourself. Thanks for your support.
Giveaway: I’m giving away 3 copies of Ryan Cleckner’s book The Long Range Shooting Handbook to listeners of the show. To enter, subscribe to the Big Game Hunting Podcast, leave a rating and review on whatever podcast service you use, and share the show on social media. Email screenshots showing you completed those steps to [email protected].
Feel free to email me at the address above with any feedback you have on the show as well as topic requests for future episodes.
What We Covered
1) What you need to know about the .223 Remington (get .223 Remington ammo here)
2) Overview of the .224 Valkyrie (get 224 Valkyrie ammo here)
3) Pros and cons of the 5.56x45mm NATO cartridge (get 5.56 NATO ammo here)
4) Overview of the 6.5 Grendel (get 6.5 Grendel ammo here)
5) What you need to know about the 6.8 SPC (get 6.8 SPC ammo here)
6) Pros and cons of the .300 Blackout (get .300 Blackout ammo here)