While we’ve talked in pretty general terms about bullets and ammunition in these past few episodes, today we’re going to dive into more detail on the subject. Specifically, we’re joined by Joseph von Benedikt in this episode and he’s going to share his thoughts on some of the best bullets for hunting elk. As you’ll learn here shortly, it’s a pretty big jump moving up from deer and pronghorn to elk. They’re bigger, tougher, and elk hunts just simply often require a whole lot more out of a bullet than deer hunts.
For that reason, you need to make sure your ammunition is up to the task.
Giveaway: I’m giving away 3 copies of Ryan Cleckner’s book The Long Range Shooting Handbook to listeners of the show. To enter, subscribe to the Big Game Hunting Podcast, leave a rating and review on whatever podcast service you use, and share the show either with a friend you think will enjoy it or on your social media account.
Email screenshots showing you completed those steps to [email protected]
Show sponsor: Get some high quality, reasonably priced ammo using the cartridges discussed in this podcast at Lucky Gunner. That link is an affiliate link. This means I will earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) if you make a purchase. This helps support the podcast and allows me to continue to create free content that’s useful to hunters like yourself. Thanks for your support.
Feel free to email me at the address above with any feedback you have on the show as well as topic requests for future episodes.
What We Covered
1) Story of Joseph and a GIANT bull elk that demonstrates the importance of choosing the right bullet when hunting elk.
2) What Joseph means when he talks about “authority” and why it’s important for hunting elk.
3) Characteristics he prioritizes when choosing the right bullet for elk at short range as well as long range.
4) Specific elk hunting bullet recommendations.
5) Things you really need to keep in mind when hunting elk with a simple cup and core bullet like the Winchester Power Point or the Remington Core-Lokt.
1) Joseph’s Personal Instagram Page
2) Check out Joseph’s podcast: The Backcountry Hunting Podcast on Apple Podcasts
3) Backcountryhuntingpodcast.net – Web site For the Backcountry Hunting Podcast
5) Below is a photo of Joseph with the elk he referenced at the beginning of the interview. This is the one he shot with his .300 Win Mag at close range.
Get some high quality, reasonably priced ammo using the bullets discussed in this podcast at Lucky Gunner. Alternatively, you can also purchase much of that same ammunition from Cabela’s at the links below.
Get ammo using Barnes TTSX bullets here.
Get ammo using Federal Edge TLR bullets here.
Get ammo using Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped bullets here.
Get ammo using Hornady ELD-X bullets here.
Get ammo using Hornady GMX bullets here.
Get ammo using Nosler Partition bullets here.
Get ammo using Nosler AccuBond bullets here.
Get ammo using Remington Core-Lokt bullets here.