Best Cape Buffalo Hunting Calibers And Bullets
In the last episode (which you can listen to here), I really tried to emphasize the toughness, disagreeable temperament, and sheer size of the cape buffalo. I’m not trying to scare you, but I do want to highlight the importance of taking things seriously when hunting buffalo. Fortunately, If you use a powerful enough cartridge, loaded with premium quality bullets, and place your shot where it needs to go, then even the biggest, toughest, and meanest cape buffalo won’t go very far. However, if you mess up in any of those areas, things can go sideways in a hurry.
In this episode, I discuss the best cape buffalo hunting calibers and bullets that you should strongly consider using on a cape buffalo hunt.
Feel free to send me a message with any feedback you have on the show as well as topic requests for future episodes.
Apple | Google | iHeart | Overcast | Spotify | Stitcher
What We Covered
1) Two stories illustrating the legendary toughness of cape buffalo and why cartridges like the .30-06 Springfield simply aren’t powerful enough
2) Description of eight extremely popular and effective rifle cartridges for cape buffalo hunting: the 9.3x62mm Mauser, the .375 H&H Magnum, the .375 Ruger, the .416 Rigby, the .416 Remington Magnum, the .458 Winchester Magnum, and the .458 Lott
3) Pros and cons of hunting with each of those eight recommended cartridges
4) Why you shouldn’t use a rifle with a muzzle brake on a cape buffalo hunt
5) Why cartridges like the .338 Winchester Magnum, .338 Lapua, and .45-70 Government aren’t great choices for hunting cape buffalo
6) Why you should load a soft point bullet for your first shot on a trophy cape buffalo and solids for all follow-up shots
7) Rundown of the most effective bullets for hunting cape buffalo
8) What you can do to avoid target panic and “buck fever” on a buffalo hunt
9) Why follow-up shots are so important when hunting cape buffalo
1) The Perfect Shot and Africa’s Most Dangerous by Dr. Kevin Robertson- Books referenced and highly recommended in podcast for the knowledge they contain on the natural history of cape buffalo, tips on shot placement, and general information about hunting in Africa
2) Read This Before Hunting Cape Buffalo With The .45-70 Government– Article referenced in podcast describing exactly why I think the .45-70 Government cartridge is not the best choice for hunting cape buffalo.
3) 9.3x62mm Mauser: An Underrated And Under-appreciated Big Game Hunting Cartridge
.375 H&H Magnum: The Most Versatile Big Game Hunting Cartridge Of All-Time
.416 Rigby: A Classic Big Game Hunting Cartridge
Articles that provide more detailed information about the 9.3x62mm Mauser, .375 H&H Magnum, .375 Ruger, and .416 Rigby
4) Best .375 H&H Ammo For Hunting Cape Buffalo, Bear, And Other Big Game – Article providing specific ammunition recommendations for the .375 H&H Magnum
If you want to hunt cape buffalo, visit BigGameHuntingAdventures.com. I’ll set you up with an outstanding cape buffalo hunt in the northwest portion of South Africa’s Limpopo Province where you’ll get the incredible experience of a classic cape buffalo hunt on foot in the South African bushveld with a top notch outfitter, professional hunter, and trackers. This hunting area is located in one of the least developed areas left in southern Africa and is home to 4 of the Big 5 (buffalo, lion, leopard, and elephant) as well as other iconic African species like hippo and giraffe. It also a reasonable drive from Johannesburg, but still has that “wild Africa” feel to it that you don’t find many other places on the continent.
There’s also some outstanding fair chase hunting for many plains game animals there and that area is perfect for a buffalo/plains game combination African safari hunt. Among other species, you can also hunt kudu, nyala, waterbuck, blue wildebeest, bushbuck, impala, warthog, duiker, and bushpig in this area on a trophy fee basis. We can also set up a trip to Kruger National Park after your hunt. This is where you need to go for the hunting experience of a lifetime. Mention that you heard about Big Game hunting Adventures through the big game hunting podcast when you book your hunting package for a special bonus.